Two weeks ago, the Atlanta Falcons were one day from kicking off Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots in Houston. The coaching staff was preparing rigorously for the biggest challenge of the year: Tom Brady and the New England offense.
Since then, Falcons head coach Dan Quinn has shuffled his coaching staff in a big way. We all knew offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan would depart immediately – and probably take a few assistants with him – after the game to become the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, but we could have never guessed the amount of turnover that would take place in the 13 days following the heartbreaking loss.
Because there’s been so much change, here’s a rundown of all movement within the coaching staff in the wake of Super Bowl LI.
- Steve Sarkisian (offensive coordinator): Hired Feb. 7; was the offensive coordinator at the University of Alabama for one game – the team’s national championship game against Clemson on Jan. 9.
- Bush Hamdan (quarterbacks coach): Hired Feb. 17; was a wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator at the University of Washington.
- Bryant Young (defensive line coach): Hired Feb. 9; played under Quinn with the 49ers in 2003-04 and worked under Quinn at the University of Florida for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
- Charlie Weis, Jr. (assistant to the offensive coordinator): Hired Feb. 17; was an assistant to Sarkisian at Alabama.
- Kyle Flood (assistant offensive line coach): Hired Feb. 17; former Rutgers head coach (fired in 2015). Was on the staff with Quinn at Hofstra University from 1997 to 2000.
- Dave Brock (offensive assistant): Hired Feb. 17; was the head coach at the University of Delaware (fired last season). Coached Quinn in his college years at Salisbury State.
- Justin Outten (offensive assistant): Hired Feb. 17; was a coaching intern with the Falcons in 2016.
- Charlie Jackson (defensive assistant): Hired Feb. 17; recently finished a coaching fellowship with the Falcons and St. Louis Rams.
- Jess Simpson (defensive assistant): Hired Feb. 17; was the defensive line coach at Georgia State University, and before that, won 10 state titles in 12 years as head coach at Buford High School in Buford, Georgia. Compiled a record of 164-12 as head coach.
- Kyle Shanahan (offensive coordinator): Left to become the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.
- Bobby Turner (running backs coach): Hired Feb. 8 as Shanahan’s running backs coach in San Francisco.
- Matt LaFleur (quarterbacks coach): Hired Feb. 7 as Shanahan’s offensive coordinator in San Francisco.
- Richard Smith (defensive coordinator): Fired on Feb. 8.
- Bryan Cox (defensive line coach): Fired on Feb. 8.
Who changed roles:
- Marquand Manuel (defensive coordinator): Promoted Feb. 10 from secondary coach to replace Smith.
- Doug Mallory (defensive backs coach): Promoted Feb. 10 from defensive assistant to replace Manuel.
- Raheem Morris (assistant head coach/wide receivers coach): Added title of passing game coordinator on Feb. 10; other two titles remain.
- Keith Carter (running backs coach): Promoted Feb. 8 from assistant offensive line coach to replace Turner.
Hope that clears things up.Follow @Sean_Breslin